I am so happy my new job has finally started to pick up. I was getting extremely nervous about my lack of clients and the boredom that would ensue every day. My boss offered me the position of a girl who is leaving so not only do I have a more regular position that does not end after 1 year but I am doing something that requires A LOT of time and leaves little time for sitting and staring at the wall as I had been doing for about a month.
I am now the case manager for Community Jobs which is like a welfare to work program. I place parents into job sites for 20 hours a week while they spend 10 hours a week working on their GED or some type of education and 10 hours a week overcoming barriers and applying for permanent jobs. Most of my clients have very little work experience, a criminal background, lack of education, etc....so I help them to work on those barriers by placing them so they get some experience, going to the interviews with them, helping them to problem solve in their work place, teaching them good habits and helping to provide support services like gas, daycare, rental assistance, car repairs etc., all in the name of getting them job ready in 6-9 months so they can go on to get a full time good paying job. We are a subcontractor for DSHS so I will learn all about DSHS but not have to work there. Perfect!
I've been warned the learning curve is steep and that this is hardcore social work because it isn't easy...but so far I am super excited about it and think it'll be a great program to take ahold of and flourish with!
Beyond that we are almost completely unpacked in our new house and are just settling into our new routine. I love it here but I hatehatehate traffic and commuting. Luckily we are about 7 miles from our jobs but it still takes 30-40 minutes to get there. I guess I was spoiled for 22 years in Montana where if I wanted to get 7 miles, it only took 7 minutes!! I will never be happy with traffic or used to planning my life around it so it will definitely take a lot for me to ever consider actually working in Seattle. We are in Bellevue/Renton where the traffic is still bad but not nearly as horrible as Seattle. I will gladly stay put for a while.
We love our new place and are so sick of moving so we want to stay for a while...but we are still so eager to buy a place so I don't know how long a while will be. At least a year but maybe longer. It just makes sense for us to keep renting until we are for sure this is where we want to stay for a while. I would love to buy a house in Kirkland or Redmond but who knows what will happen next year or the following. We talk a lot about trying new places and someday Montana will calling our names louder and louder. But we'll see. I like it here and could definitely stay for 5 years or more.
We are going to Westport for the weekend with a couple other couples. I'm excited for the R&R and being at the beach. I don't know how the weather will be but it should be fun. It's Pirate Days so there will be lots going on. I'm excited to be near the ocean and just have a good time. I'm anxious to have friends and a broadened social circle so this is a great opportunity. Nathan has a ton of friends so it's just been a matter of joining the groups...I would like to have some new friends too, ones that were never his but I really like his friends too so I'll take them!
No comments:
Post a Comment