Yesterday we celebrated our one year anniversary. Nathan picked me up from the airport (I had been in Montana) with 2 dozen {real} roses in the trunk. I carried an anniversary cake, slightly saggy and a little melted but a surprise nonetheless.
We decided to do traditional anniversary gifts, both as a challenge and as a (sort of) easy way to know what to give one another each year (come on, you have to agree picking a gift is always a bit difficult). I was so impressed by the gift Nathan gave me: handmade paper flowers. Handmade by HIM! He even made a video of him doing it as he knew I wouldn't believe he did them himself. I am so so proud of him and I love the flowers. This is the best part of doing the traditional gifts as they inspire some creative thinking for sure!
We spent the afternoon lounging around and then went to Daniel's Broiler, an awesome steakhouse on Lake Union in Seattle, for dinner. The restaurant is right next a marina that houses expensive yachts so we had fun watching people come in and staring out at the water. It was a gorgeous night and our food was soooo good. We were ooh and ahhing with every single bite. We started with filet minion strips (in teriyaki garlic sauce), split a caesar salad and then I had prime rib and Nathaniel had a New York steak (with melted butter on top...ooooooh). The steaks came with garlic mashed potatoes and everything honestly just melted in our mouths. So good.
(We are taking a picture on our anniversary each year. This is more of an outtake but I had to share it because it just cracks me up. Poor Scrappy)
We walked around the dock after dinner and dreamed up our next big move. There are rows of boat houses on the shore of Lake Union and after once visiting one belonging to Nathan's co-worker, we kept telling ourselves someday we'd love to live in one. Maybe it's a pipe dream or maybe it could really happen but we pondered renting out our house and moving into a boat house for a year (or more) just to live the life. We are in Seattle, why not have the quintessential Seattle experience? There are only a couple advertised right now and they don't allow dogs but we'll keep our eyes open and consider the possibility...why not have a little adventure?
When we got home from dinner we were too stuffed for cake but broke it out anyway and each took a bite. Not nearly as good as it was a year ago but the good memories are definitely still there.
This past year has truly zoomed by and I'm thinking that is only a testament to how fun and wonderful it has been to have my best friend by my side. We've got lots of plans and hopes for the future and while I can't hardly wait for them I am also vowing to spend this next year enjoying the little things, the little moments with the one I love. One of my favorite things to do is to look around at our house and see everything that is "us". His clean socks wrapped up in a pile of mine as they wait to be folded, pictures of past adventures, the first furniture we purchased together, the bath towels we share, the toothbrushes happily leaning on one another in their cup on the counter...all these simple little things that are our's just make me smile.
This past year has truly zoomed by and I'm thinking that is only a testament to how fun and wonderful it has been to have my best friend by my side. We've got lots of plans and hopes for the future and while I can't hardly wait for them I am also vowing to spend this next year enjoying the little things, the little moments with the one I love. One of my favorite things to do is to look around at our house and see everything that is "us". His clean socks wrapped up in a pile of mine as they wait to be folded, pictures of past adventures, the first furniture we purchased together, the bath towels we share, the toothbrushes happily leaning on one another in their cup on the counter...all these simple little things that are our's just make me smile.
Happy One Year Anniversary, hubby, and many more to come!
2 comments:
Smash I caught up on your blog today. Keep writing I love to hear what you're up to. Your husband seems awesome, someday I want to meet him. Im totally jealous you got to see Whit. You were a beautiful bride! Congrats on year one!
what a lovely anniversary. I love dreaming with my hubby about our years ahead too!
Post a Comment