26 September, 2010

dreaming big

We have a dream. Someday we would like to move back to Montana and raise our kids in the wild, wild west and the simple lifestyle of mountains and fresh air....But we can't do it unless we can find jobs. For me, it's not a big deal. Social work pays diddily squat not matter where you go and it's needed in every big and small town across the globe. But Nathan's chosen career is a little bit harder niche to fill in Montana. There are no e-commerce, dot coms or major companies to work for with the kind of room for advancement he has at Expedia. Being the breadwinner in our family, it's a bit important that he find something comparable. So we wait. Truthfully we aren't ready for Montana yet anyway (we are enjoying the diversity, liberal mindsets and opportunities that the city offers just a bit too much right now) but when we are, we need a plan.


Enter our grand idea: Start a business. I can't say our exact business idea because I'm afraid someone else might open it before we do...and then I'd be bummed. Especially since we're years out from it so who knows what can happen. But in the mean time, a girl can dream! The business involves food, a spot on downtown Main Street, cuteness and a concept that is extremely popular in Seattle and other big cities and most likely could catch on in Montana if we did it right. If you really want to know, ask me and I'll tell you if you promise to keep your mouth shut and not steal our idea.

Nathan also has a background in business so this wouldn't be a total blind idea. I would be in charge of the fun things and he'd do the business plan and the logistics. Eventually I'd tie in social work probably by being a socially conscious business, donating to non-profits and supporting other local businesses but using them in our own company. Ohh it'd be great. And delicious. We have so many ideas floating around and would love to someday take the risk and make them a reality. I think it's a risk because Montana will never be like Seattle and might not accept a new idea...but based on how it seems to flourish in every other community I don't see why it couldn't work if we were smart about it.

Someday. Someday. :)

No comments: