
So...I kind of had an idea this was going to be happening soon, in fact I knew it would because we have both been so excited about it all that Nathan has not been good about keeping secrets. About 4 weeks ago he told me he bought a ring from a place we had once just casually looked before. Knowing the rings take about 4 weeks to custom make I had a feeling what his timeline would be. BUT I still didn't know for sure. He suggested we go to Victoria B.C. for the weekend of Halloween and booked us a really cute little hotel and tickets for the boat ride over.
Before we left he suggested we share a bag together to pack all of our stuff. At that point I started to think there was no way he had a ring because he could not hide it from me in the same bag. We ended up with separate bags anyway but there was still no sign of anything.
We were having an awesome time in Victoria, it is SO pretty and so fun to try good restaurants and shop and just walk around. There is this one hotel that has a big garden in the yard. Nathan suggested we go over there and walk through. As we walked out the door he started walking faster, getting sweatier and kept his hand in his pocket the whole time. We got there and walked through, just casually talking and walking. At one point I turned around to tell him something and looked to see him down on one knee with tears in his eyes. It was so cute! Of course I jumped up and down and we were just so excited we sat on a bench for like 30 minutes just giggling and hugging like little kids...it was good.
The whole week leading up to the trip he was extra sappy and extra cute with everything he said. I think it was all the things he would have said in a little speech to me if he wasn't so nervous. It's funny he was even nervous because we've known each other 23+ years but I'm sure it's different when you're holding a fancy ring and asking someone to be with you for 23+23+ more years. There's no question in my mind this is going to be great. We've known each other forever (our moms are best friends) and I had the BIGGEST crush on him when we were younger, I always dreamed of marrying him but it just a little girl fantasy that I never thought would come close to true. And it did!
We wanted to call everyone in our phone books right away to tell them but then realized we were in Canada and would be paying extremely high international rates! We called our parents and siblings and best friends but then just had to sit with the excitement until we got back to the states. It was great though, I still feel like I'm walking around on a cloud. I want to just enjoy it for a little while but I already feel the pressure to plan! We felt like we had to pick a date because we already have 4 other weddings to go to this summer/fall so we needed to fit our's in there. August 7 2010 at my parent's cabin on Ashley Lake is the plan. I want to have kind of a Seattle meets Montana style, maybe with more modern looking dresses and decorations but then a lot of just good old Montana charm. Most importantly we just want a big party with good friends, good food and good music.
2 comments:
Yeah Ashley! We are so excited for you both. Love you!
:)Sara, Sam and Amelia
congratulations! remember to not get too wrapped up in the anxiety and stress and stop every now and then to just soak it all in. you deserve it!
Post a Comment