06 September, 2009

solo

I rented The Soloist last night off of OnDemand. It is SUCH a good movie I loved every second of it. It just futher reinforced how much I love working with the homeless population and how badly I can't wait until I'm able to do it all the time. It also made me really really want to open a soup kitchen (with showers, laundry, computers, clothing, etc) in my home town. There seem to be enough of those types of services here and I just don't really feel a tie or a strong enough desire to bring something like that here...but at home it's like a whole different world of opportunity. Of course that would be when/if we move back to Montana...it's okay that it's a ways away because I'd need to be a point in our lives that we were stable in our home, had lots of loans paid off and I could take the risk of starting a "business". Obviously it'd be a nonprofit so it'd require some patience and perserverence...and the ability to probaly go without pay for a little while. But oh what a wonderful place it would be. I would call it bread. Lowercase. Don't steal my idea internets, it's going to happen some day! And then my brother can come once a month and do free dental check ups and my other brother can make really awesome, touching videos about it all to help us raise money. And my dad could build me a beautiful kitchen to serve my meals and a desk to work at...awww...my mom would love it too. We both have this thing about people going hungry. It just breaks our hearts, it should never ever happen. So she could serve up all her greatest recipes in our big kitchen.

Ahhhh...I miss having that inspiration and love for my job. I don't hate mine right now but it definitely doesn't give me that feeling that serving in the soup kitchen and loving homeless people does. THAT feeling is why I am in social work and I need to be reminded of it every now and again.

I'm eating like I'm single this weekend with Nathan gone. There's just no reason to cook a big meal so my staples are brie and crackers, grapes, olives, humuus, Naan bread, bagels...just quick and easy yummy stuff. My cousin and I always used to eat cheese and bread 3-5 days of the week when it was just the two of us. We both loved it and didn't mind at all but no boy would probably ever be too fulfilled with that meal. Don't get me wrong, I will be very happy when Nathan is back to make his amazing food- you know me, I love to eat! But one of my favorite things to eat is snacky stuff so this is nearly as fulfilling.

1 comment:

Lo said...

Oh the days of cheese and bread for dinner! We must get together soon...with cheese and bread! You triggered some good memories Ash!