I got a call today about a job I applied for about a month ago. Program Manager at YWCA drop-in center for homeless women in downtown Seattle. Years ago when I thought about social work and my future I envisioned myself in downtown Seattle helping the poorest of the poor. I dreamt of the city and the hundreds of people who lived under bridges, wore their closets on their backs, were hungry, were tired, were dirty...That's why I wanted to move to Seattle, long before my boyfriend being here was also a perk. It was always about the amazing social work opportunities that would lie within the city.
I've started out fairly removed from the downtown of Seattle. I'm in one of the wealthiest suburbs instead but don't think there aren't hungry and homeless and less fortunate here as well. I see it all. I am happy for the job I have, I love what I'm learning and I love helping the people who are so grateful for the simple things I assist them in doing for themselves.
But I've always loved working with the truly homeless, especially women and children. Anytime I see a position that would allow me to do this I apply for it. I hadn't heard anything about this one so I just assumed it'd been filled, until they called today. She made it very clear that things at this day center are not quiet by any means, there are an average of 200 women coming in and out each day so there are fights, and dirt and anger and urine, and smells all filling the building. The position involves less direct contact and more supervision of employees and the center itself. It's different from anything I've ever done but it represents a career shift which has been an eventual goal as part of my Master in Social Work.
I have no idea if I even have a chance at this position but I'm extremely excited to be considered and interviewed even if it's just to be in this day center that stands for so much I believe in. I applied at another day center, also run by the YWCA, closer to my old job. It hasn't been filled yet so I will also ask about it. Only 40 women use that one daily so it'd be on a much smaller scale, which could be good for me too.
Who knows what will come of it, if anything. I'm just excited it's out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment