08 January, 2011

happy new year!





2011 has begun! Above is a picture of us with friends on New Year's Eve in Vegas. We spent four days there and had a great time.

It is no question that 2010 has been an amazing whirlwind of a year. I have been looking forward to its re-cap for months as it was a year marked by three major events:

At the start of the year, we decided we were ready to become homeowners. For five months we made lists of our wants and needs, visited potential homes on the weekends, dreamed of the perfect location for our Christmas tree, furniture and dog door in every house we saw while riding the homebuying roller coaster. We made numerous offers, waited with bated breath for answers and heard more bad news than we thought we could handle. Finally on May 24, 2010, we closed on a home, our home.

2010 also was a hard year at work. As the stress and unhappiness boiled into my relationship and home life, my search for a new job became a more serious one. In April I was contacted by a school district for an intensive round of 3 different interviews for a position as a social worker. I was excited about the possibility for something new but even more I felt like I was finally being recognized by a staff who would value me. I was offered a position and began in May. While the job has been a challenge, it is a good one and I do sincerely enjoy the change of pace (and the amazing schedule).

Most importantly, 2010 was marked by love, joy and excitement. We began the year in full-on wedding planning mode - both Nathan and me and our entire families. For 8 months we all rallied around the details of caterers, DJs, flowers, invitations, chairs, tables, decorations and preparing my parent's lake house for blue and yellow love.
On August 7, 2010, we threw the biggest and best party of our lives. I truly married my best friend. Surrounded by 200 of our closest friends and the family with the sun beating down and the lake sparkling in the background, we made promises that now hang on the wall in our bedroom, reminding us daily of the commitment we made to take care of one another, forever. The day was perfect and our joy was punctuated by fireworks, dancing, laughing and so much love. We spend two wonderful weeks in Montana reliving the moments and enjoying the calm after the storm.

For this one reason, I will never forget 2010 and still often finding myself thinking upon the moments of our rehearsal dinner, our wedding and our morning-after brunch and crying with happiness. Every second of each of those days makes my heart tingle. I never want to forget the way I felt, the way it looked, seeing my husband for the first time as he pulled up in the boat, standing up with 12 of our friends circled around us, looking out upon 200 smiling faces, dancing until the music died, laughing, hugging, holding...
After nearly everyone had left for the night, Nathan and I found our parents huddled in a circle, smiling and already talking about the details we had accomplished. We all hugged and high-fived. "We did a good job," someone said. And we knew we did. we threw a good party, we wrote good vows, we picked our best match and even more, 20+ years ago, our parents met one another and raised us to eventually fall in love. It was good.

The forecast for 2011 is travel, and lots of it. We will go on a ski mountain getaway at White Pass, travel to Mexico for our honeymoon, visit Montana and Wyoming, use a wedding gift certicate we got to cozy little Winthrop, WA and go on 3 seperate trips to Australia, London and then Toronto, Canada. It's going to be good!






Happy New Year to you!

No comments: