05 March, 2009

sleepy bear

Today, while working with my friend Rosetta Stone on my Spanish lessons, I got so tired I laid down and took a nap. This is a big deal since I have not had the time to take a nap on a weekday in months...years... and even if I was tired enough, I wouldn't let myself. Apparently today it caught up with me because I was exhausted! Luckily the Schwann's man interrupted my sleep after an hour or I could have slept until morning. I think this is a sign that a relaxing spring break in Mexico is precisely what the doctor ordered. We leave in one week!

Nathan did not make proper arrangements to make it over here this weekend despite the weather so he has bribed me to travel to see him. He owes me big time. :) I'm so ready to see him though. We went 3 weeks and it was clearly too long for us. We have vowed to not let that happen again and I hope we can stick to it as we ride out these last 3 months.

I had a big presentation today for school and now all that's left is another presentation next week and my piece of our group paper. It won't take much to finish so really I feel like I'm about finished with this quarter. Thank goodness because it has been the most boring ever as far as classes go...although as far as friends go it's been the best. Next quarter I am only taking the one required class and nothing else. I have more than enough electives and I'm just over school at this point so I will do only what is required of me and not feel guilty about it.

Today I cleaned my "office" and found the application I printed out for the scholarship to Tanzania. I keep looking at it, writing more on it and then putting it back. I don't know if I could really go. It would still cost me about $2500 of my own money and would require about 3 weeks off work at what would be a new position. These are issues since we're saving for moving costs for our new place, new furniture, hopefully a wedding some day, a downpayment on a house and an emergency fund. We also have two things already planned that will require time off. The Johnson Family Reunion in July and Nathan's cousin's wedding in October. Plus I'd like some extra time off at Christmas so we can go home. I worry a new employer will laugh at me if I ask for that much time off. BUT Tanzania would be an amazing experience that would fulfill my goal of one international social work trip every other year...and I feel like any agency who hires social workers understands how important this trip would be. I don't know. I feel like I should at least do the application and see if I get anywhere with it...Right now I want to do it so badly though that I'd even pay for the whole thing whether I got the scholarship or not.

Why do I feel like the real world is going to be a rude awakening for me? There's too much I want to do!

No comments: