What if I bought a house right now? This economy is fairly perfect for a homebuyer...There's all kinds of homes on the market to choose from, the prices keep lowering because no one will buy and interest rates are subprime and still dropping. I just wish I knew for certain where we'll be next year. I think San Diego is nearly a for sure but there's no guaranteeing something else can't come up in the next 10 months. And I'm locked in a lease here so it'd be dumb to buy anything here...I'd love to buy in Seattle but if we go to San Diego and never want to leave that's a waste of a home. But really...if I bought a home now and then turned around and sold it years down the road when the market gets better...I could make a good profit. And even without the profit part I could probably save a ton buying a home now than in 3 years when things are back to normal. I don't know, something to think about.
It's also time to think about savings accounts and spending less on "wants" and socking more into an emergency fund for later. I like to think I've got good job security especially since more and more people are falling into the "poor" "homeless" and "low income" categories and that's who I work with...BUT most of the places I work are funded by grants who are only available if the rest of the stars align in the business world. So we rely on other businesses and the government to do well so we can. Makes me a bit nervous. I refuse to go back to school again to try to change my career. In part because I am so over school and will have put in over 18 years and also because I love social work with all my heart and will not give it up because the economy is bad. I have faith it'll get better eventually and in the mean time I know I can creatively make do.
I worry about Nathan's job in the travel industry. Expedia so far is doing okay because people are still traveling, especially corporate travel...But I just fear one day they will begin their job cuts and slowly work their way to him. Really he'll be the last to be cut since he is an integral part of keeping Expedia online, literally, so I think he's fine. But I still worry.
My mom has great job security as a medical assistant but my dad owns a business as a cabinet maker. Things are still fairly steady but usually new cabinets come with new homes, buildings and construction and all that is put on hold right now. My parents are building a new cabin as we speak. They've saved up a lot for it and it should be fine...But even so it's a scary prospect at this time. The cabin is going up incredibly fast since the construction company has very few other jobs. This part is great for us but I can't help but feel awful for the company, especially since it's owned by a family friend and he has had to lay off nearly all of his employees.
Oh life.
No comments:
Post a Comment