18 April, 2011

london on my mind

Today I checked the weather report to find that London is expecting 70 degree temperatures all week. I kind of wish we were still there! Although the sun did come out today...and is actually still out tonight, so it's not so bad. I don't miss London just for the weather though, there was so much to see and do there, all over England Scotland...it was so much fun. Nathan has to go back in June and I am going to tentatively plan to go along. I just can't get enough and having the opportunity to jump on board his business trips makes me a lucky girl!



We bought a new (to us) couch this weekend. My brother moved out and took his loveseat with him. It was the only piece of furniture in our formal living room so the emptyness in there just wasn't working for me. I searched Craigslist for a few days and came across a great option. It was a truly successful Craigslist find as the owners were extremely nice and CLEAN so I had no concerns about the quality and condition of the couch. Even better, we were able to fit it into the back of my car and tie the door down to make it home. Double score. I had also just found a crib on Craigslist for one of my pregnant students so now I am completely addicted to Craigslist after having TWO successful purchases in a row. What else can we buy? Leather chairs to sit across from the couch? A comfy chair for the guest room? Bookshelves? A table? Ahhh...it gets addicting.



We are having a dinner party with a group of friends (these were originally Nathan's friends from college) this weekend. We are expecting 14-16 people plus us...and I have realized we do not have enough plates. Since I am resisting using reusable plates for a nice dinner party I needed a plan. Today I looked at Goodwill. I love going to Goodwill for things like picture frames that I can paint and transform to brand new...but I hadn't ever considered it for dishes. I want to buy a really nice new set of dishes or add to the ones we have but I had no idea I registered us for a set that is $13 a plate (we got them all as wedding gifts)...and really I don't even like them that much...so maybe it's not worth the money. While I'm searching for our perfect kitchen upgrade, I figure I should go cheap to add about 5 more plates just to tide us over. So far Goodwill just wasn't doing it for me but I'll check a couple other places before probably caving and buying brand new dishes even though my husband will tell me we have 2 perfectly good sets. Hmph. :) Oh! I just realized I should check Craigslist for dishes too!

1 comment:

Janet Dillon Robinson said...

Craigslist is the best!! :) Especially when you can tell the past owner cared about the item!